Friday 5 October 2018

Teaser: genetics and breeding back

At the moment I am extremely busy but also extremely motivated to write some more in-depth posts. I have two blogposts in preparation: 

- one covering theoretical assumptions on aurochs genes present in living cattle plus what current breeding-back projects are doing in this respect
- one covering the organismic differences between aurochs and cattle that must be there based on comparisons with other domesticated species 

I think both posts would cover some important aspects that should be discussed in the modern breeding-back world. 

I can't promise when I am done with the posts, probably during the following weeks or so. Please stay tuned! 

4 comments:

  1. Great, I'm looking forward to those, thanks for your hard work in putting them together. I've been missing discussion about back-breeding since the carnivoraforum Aurochs thread has been gone (I used to post on there as GaiaOctavia, though I have mostly lurked for the last few years). Do you know of anywhere else people have been discussing since it disappeared, other than your indispensable blog of course?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The forum has been moved to Carnivora.net

      Delete
  2. Hey Daniel, you have done a post about crossing wild cattle into backbred aurox, for example wild yak. I‘ve seen this video from the BR a few days ago and thought it could be interisting to you
    https://youtu.be/411M9oDOews

    And have you seen, that the Pleistocene Park got some kalmykian cows? The lonly male Wisent will be happy, maybe they will get some zubrons. Would be great if they cross the kalmykians with some yakutian bulls, I think that there are sometimes wildcoloured individuals in this breed.

    ReplyDelete